Innovations Lab Kosovo: UPSHIFT
User research and program design
UX techniques: user research, facilitated product ideation sessions, user journey mapping, program design
We helped Innovations Lab Kosovo, a unit of UNICEF in Prishtina, design a workshop to help youth build products and services for social good. Local youths identify real problems in their community, research those affected, identify a sustainable solution, and create a working prototype in just over 48 hours. They needed something that could scale to the whole country and to the other UNICEF programs around the world.
The workshop for social good that the Lab was already running focused on technological solutions and relied heavily on English-speaking foreign mentors. This format increased costs, and discouraged the participation of disadvantaged young people. The ideas submitted to the workshop also tended to be too broad to be addressed in a single weekend.
- User research scenarios/scripts
- User research
- Facilitated product ideation sessions
- Journey maps
- Content strategy
- Give participants research tasks before the workshop to validate assumptions about the problem space
- Create guides to help train mentors and scale the program
- Create incremental deliverables to move the projects forward
- Emphasize the process over the result